SembCorp Commissions Second Unit At TPCIL In Krishnapatnam

Written by

Singapore-based company, Sembcorp Industries has commissioned the second and final 660MW unit of the $1.5bn coal-fired power plant in the coastal town of Krishnapatnam in AP.

The 1,320MW power station, the first of Sembcorp in India, presently features two units. Each unit has a power generation capacity of 660MW. The first unit has been already operational since April this year.

This project is owned and operated by Thermal Powertech Corporation India (TPCIL), a joint venture between Sembcorp and Gayatri Energy Ventures.

Sembcorp owns a 67.4% stake in the project through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sembcorp Utilities. The remaining 32.6% stake is owned by Gayatri Energy Ventures, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Gayatri Projects.

The power plant also houses a super critical technology for enhanced efficiency and reduced emissions in comparison with other conventional coal-fired power plants.The project meets the increasing power demand in the southern part of the country.

Atul Nargund, CEO of Thermal Powertech Corporation India (TPCIL) said, “With this, the plant is fully operational with gross generation capacity of 1,320 megawatts, helping to meet the increasing power demand in the southern states of India and supporting their economic growth.”

About 500MW of the total output of the power plant is sold to Andhra Pradesh and Telangana power distribution companies under a 25-year power purchase agreement. Sembcorp is considering signing of further power purchase agreements for the power station in the near future.

The company is also developing a 1,320MW coal-fired power plant adjacent to TPCIL in India, with 49% stake while the remaining stake is owned by NCC Infrastructure Holdings, a joint company of NCC and Gayatri Energy Ventures.

This project is scheduled to be completed in 2016.

Tang Kin Fei, Sembcorp group president and CEO  said, “We now look forward to the completion of our second coal-fired power plant in Andhra Pradesh, which is expected in 2016. When fully operational, our two thermal power plants will generate a total of 2,640 megawatts of gross capacity. This will help to meet the increasing power demand in India and particularly the southern states.”

Sembcorp also owns Sembcorp Green Infra, a India-based renewable energy company having more than 700MW of assets in operation and under development, with 64.06% stake.

Source – Energy Business Review




Article Categories:
Menu Title