Meet the Vishwakarma of Amaravati

Written by
amaravati

As he spoke about the people’s capital of Andhra Pradesh, the state and the nation made time to watch. Meet Chandrababu Naidu, the Vishwakarma who is all set to build one of the greatest cities of India.

Here are more details about the presentation made at Velagapudi on Amaravati coming from the CM’s office

Foster and Partners gave a presentation of Amaravati’s opulent features to MLAs, MLCs yesterday at Velagapudi. Foster + Partners unveiled a grand vision of the administrative city of Amaravati, for which they have planned futuristic projects such as a cloud-connected driver less rapid transit and buildings designed to be energy-efficient and that allow free flow of natural air. The presentation was made to the MLAs and MLCs of Andhra Pradesh at the Legislative Assembly Committee Hall in Velagapudi.

History and Modernity

Showcasing the opulent features of Amaravati in the presence of Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu, Legislative Council Chairman A. Chakrapani and Assembly Speaker Kodela Siva Prasada Rao, F+P associate architect Harsh Thapar and noted Indian architect Hafeez Contractor said the planning was done by duly taking into account the principles of ‘Vastu’ and the design elements of heritage structures such as temples in deference to Mr. Naidu’s wish to transform Amaravati into a city that combines history with modernity.

Mr. Thapar said the F+P had also factored in the internationally acclaimed grid model of urban development, which was shaped on the basis of a detailed study of elements that confer on a city the distinct characteristics of a capital city.

The striking features of New Delhi, Washington and London had been particularly researched as their urban designs were considered global benchmarks.

Each one of the 27 townships would be blocks measuring 2 km x 2 km and 10 % of its area would be made up of water bodies. Of the 900 acres, 51% would be green spaces, 25% building footprint, 14% roads and 10% waterfronts.

Four Gateways

Mr. Thapar went on to say that Amaravati would have four prominent gateways that would bear resemblance to the entrance of historic temples and have city squares designed on the lines of Trafalgar, Sloane and the Duke of York Squares.

The city would have public spaces like the Battersea Park and the Rajpath in New Delhi.

Roads with 50, 24, 16, 9, and 7 metres width had been conceived with waterways occupying the central axes of major roads for facilitating water-borne transportation similar to the water taxis of Amsterdam.

Waterfront

The city would have a 27-km-long waterfront. Besides, the facets of a smart city had been incorporated into the plans.

The city had been planned on the basis of wind flow patterns in the Amaravati area using state-of-the art technology and temperature studies conducted in Indian cities, particularly Vijayawada, Mr. Thapar explained.

A.P. Capital Region Development Authority Commissioner Ch. Sreedhar said the seed capital access road was poised for completion by the end of May and it was planned to get the foundation laid by the Chief Minister for seven arterial roads estimated at a cost of ₹1,000 crore on Ugadi.

To a query on the amount of water required and its sources for the water bodies and waterways planned in the administrative city, Mr. Sreedhar said 60% of the the 0.81 tmcft required would be provided by the Palavagu rivulet and the remaining 40% would be drawn, most probably from the Krishna.

 

Comments

comments

Article Categories:
Amaravathi · My City
Menu Title