Drumsticks, or Mulakkadalu as they are called in Telugu, have been a part of Andhra cuisine since the time immemorial. Rich in nutrients and delicious in taste, drumsticks add some real value to the Andhra meal as such.
Here, we present to you a simple recipe of Mulakkada Masala or Drumstick Masala that can be prepared in a span of minutes.
Drumstick Masala or Mulakkada Masala Recipe
Drumsticks – 3
Onion – 2 medium
Tomatoes – 2 large
Tamarind – Peas Size
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Seeds Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Grated Dry Coconut – 3 tbsp or use fresh or desiccated coconut
Salt – To Taste
Oil – 1 tbs
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Minced Garlic – 1 tsp
1. Clean, wash and cut drumsticks in 2″ long pieces. Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes extract juice.
2. Peel and slice onion, chop tomatoes and keep aside.
3. In a pan or wok heat oil add mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic and saute until garlic becomes golden brown. Add drumstick pieces and saute for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes or until it start to soften.
5. Add tomatoes, red chilli, coriander and turmeric powders.Mix well and cook until tomatoes gets mashed.
6. Add salt, tamarind extract, around 1.5 to 2 cups water and bring it to good boil, simmer in slow flame for 5 minutes.
7. Add coconut, give a good stir and simmer again for 5 minutes or until gravy becomes thick and drumstick is well cooked, off flame and let the curry sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with steamed rice or roti/paratha. We can add boiled eggs also. Enjoy!!
Recipe Source – Foodies in Andhra